Cinderella CostumePosted: October 15, 2014
When I asked Katie what she wanted to be for Halloween, she said Rella. I was sort of joking when I asked her, thinking she wouldn’t really get it since this will only be her second Halloween, but she seems to understand and has not wavered since I first asked her. Despite Hannah’s daily attempts to get Katie to change her mind for some unknown reason, Cinderella it is.
I intended to use the Simplicity 2563 pattern that I already had, but unfortunately the muslin I made was too wide, even sewing one size down from what Katie normally wears, so I ditched the Simplicity bodice and skirt patterns in favor of the tried and true Geranium dress pattern from Made By Rae. One of the best sewing purchases I’ve ever made!
To alter the Geranium pattern to look more like the Simplicity one, I lowered the neckline on the bodice about an inch or so to make it more of a scoopneck.
I also made the front bodice two pieces so that there would be a seam in the center front. To do this, I simply added a seam allowance to the fold line of the Geranium pattern, cut two, then sewed them together to create a front bodice with a center seam.
I didn’t do the pointed base on the bodice like the Simplicity pattern because I didn’t want to fuss with it while attaching the skirt.
The Geranium dress does not include a sleeve pattern, so I used the Simplicity sleeve pattern and followed the Simplicity elastic casing guidelines. I’ve done this before and it’s always turned out perfectly.
For the puffs around the waist, I used the Simplicity pattern piece. They are simply large circles folded in half, gathered along the curved edge, and then basted to the bodice before attaching the skirt. Having the seam in the front of the bodice helps to line up the puffs in the exact center of the dress. A bonus to adding the extra step.
And finally, the Simplicity headband and a grosgrain ribbon necklace to complete the look.
And there you have it, miss Katie as Rella. She is one happy girl!