Sleeping Beauty Costume

IMGP0351

Hannah wanted to be Wonder Woman for Halloween. She was absolute about it…for a couple of days. Since then, she has been firm on Sleeping Beauty. Of all the princesses, this is the one I was least wanting to sew. The off the shoulder bodice and the peplum skirt just seemed like a lot of work…and they were. But I’m super excited with the final product. The costume I dreaded most of any costume I’ve made so far, but the one that I might be most proud of in the end.

Since I was really unsure of how I would draft a Sleeping Beauty costume, I scoured the internet for ideas. Not many out there, so I bought the Simplicity 5835 pattern on ebay. Don’t get me started on store bought pattern sizing! Again, a total fail with the sizing. So again, I turned to the trusty Geranium dress pattern and used the Simplicity pattern as a guideline.

IMGP0361

I lengthened the bodice a few inches and used a zipper instead of buttons. The zipper was definitely not done in the proper way, but it works for a costume.

For the sleeves, I used a long sleeve pattern I already had. I tried to make a v-shape hem using a facing, but it’s not very obvious. Oh well. It was a last minute thing after I had already attached the sleeves and I was afraid to cut too deep a v shape and make the sleeves too short.

IMGP0359

For the peplum skirt, I used the Simplicity pattern as a starting point, then drafted my own. I made it one piece and attached it to the bodice before attaching the skirt. It was a good natural stopping point for the zipper and looked better without a seam down the middle.

And for the off the shoulder look, I decided to do the easiest thing possible. Rather than do anything to change the construction of the bodice to include a fully attached collar piece, I took the easy route and sewed a fabric tube. I gathered it and attached it to the front bodice along the gathering stitches and then attached it to the back of the back bodice, sewing along the zipper seam line. Easy and done.

IMGP0352

The crown and necklace were pretty quick and easy. I used the Simplicity patterns but assembled them differently than called for in the pattern. I made the crown one piece instead of two sewn together. I also fused the gold lame fabric to yellow felt using spray ‘n bond instead of using stiff interfacing. Even though the crown is fairly floppy, it stands straight up like it should when worn.

And that’s Hannah as Sleeping Beauty. Phew, done with Halloween sewing! Yipee!

UPDATE: If you want to use an inexpensive but beautiful costume fabric that will stand the test of time, I included links to the fabrics I used. After one year of near constant wear and many washings (oxyclean spray ‘n wash, cold water, gentle cycle), the costume is still in excellent condition and looks almost new! I will only use slipper satin from now on for all costumes. The crown and necklace did not survive long but lasted for Halloween, so they served their purpose.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0290217/slipper-satin-hot-pink

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0290218/slipper-satin-candy-pink

https://www.fabric.com/buy/ee-824/slipper-satin-white

https://www.fabric.com/buy/dh-996/tissue-lame-gold

Advertisements

4 Comments on “Sleeping Beauty Costume”

  1. Debbie says:

    It turned out great! I can tell Hannah is as pleased with the finished product as you are!

  2. jim passi says:

    I THINK SHE LOVES IT

  3. […] Sleeping Beauty Costume Oliver + S Felt Bow Scrapbuster Tutorial […]

  4. […] sleeping beauty 2. kiki by allyson breen 3. kinda-sorta anna costume 4. princess mononoke and soot sprite 5.and 6. […]


Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s