Hannah turned nine months old a little over one week ago. My birthday and her nine month birthday were actually on the same day. It was a lot fun to celebrate together. I took her to get her milestone pictures the next day and I think we got some good shots.
She wore her tiered Easter dress and I made her a matching headband. The headband was a cinch! No sewing, I just glue gunned a little grosgrain ribbon bow to a plain headband to match to the one on the bodice of her dress.
The headband I bought from Target around Christmas time. They came in packs of three—one white, one red, one green—for one dollar! The next time I see headbands for one dollar, I’m going to buy like a bazillion.
Although Hannah wasn’t really in a smiling mood, I think her serious expressions are cute too. This picture is the only smile we got. I guess that is what happens when pictures get a late start and end up during nap time.
I love this one. She looks so elegant and the dress is fanned out so beautifully. When I was sewing this dress, I started to think that maybe I had gone a little overboard with the ruffles and that it was too floofy. In the end, I think the floofiness looks great and the extra fabric allows the skirt to fan out like a circle skirt, which is ideal for pictures.
This close up was on of the last pictures that we got until…
The meltdown picture! By this time a nap was long overdue and Hannah decided that pictures were definitely done. This one is so cute, though, I was seriously tempted to order one!
Another holiday, another excuse to make a dress for my sweet girl. I’ve been wanting to make a peasant dress for some time. It’s one of those staple projects that everybody has to make at some point and everybody adds their own little twist.
(This girl is hilarious!)
I used the free 6-12 month peasant top pattern from makeyourownbabystuff.com. To make it into a dress, I simply added some length to the pattern. I thought that I would need to make the pattern angle out in order to turn it into a dress, but that wasn’t the case. Since the elastic gathers the top, there is more than enough fabric for a flowy dress without having to alter the shape of the pattern.
Because the fabric I used for this dress was pretty busy, I wanted to add some embellishments but I wasn’t really sure what would look good. I decided on a solid pink accent fabric to make a ruffled bottom and some fabric flowers. At first I wasn’t too sure about the ruffled bottom. It looks more like irregular pleats, but I like it more every time I look at it.
The fabric flowers were really simple to make. I’ve made a couple different kinds of fabric and felt flowers but wanted to try something new. I used an idea from pinterest (which I am now obsessed with!) from the blog the fickle pickle. The tutorial calls for felt but I decided to use my pink accent fabric instead. A little different result but the same basic concept. I love the green buttons. It was a nice way to use a color I don’t normally use and it pulls out the green hearts on the dress.
I wish that I would have made the dress a little shorter but the extra length will make it wearable for longer. Since hearts are cute year round and she’ll wear it on many more occasions, I didn’t feel the need to shorten the dress and resew the ruffle.
A cute, fun, and easy dress. Happy first Valentine’s Day to my little sweetheart.
I’ve had this fabric for quite some time. It was one of the first cuts of fabric I bought when I started this whole sewing mania. Even though I love it–I’m sort of addicted to all things pink since having a little girl–I just didn’t have a project in mind that seemed suited for it. I’m glad that I waited for this adorable dress to come along, because I think it was perfect for this project. By the way, I love the buttons too. I pretty much love everything about this dress. Again, what a great tutorial.
Almost every time I complete another project, I walk away with new skills. One thing I learned this go round was how to make pleats. I think they turned out pretty well. I’ve been thinking that I want to start creating some of my own designs/patterns and I think pleats will make an appearance. I do have to admit, they were sort of a pain in the you know what, though. You definitely have to be precise for them to look good, and since I was kind of winging it, I had to rip a few seams and remeasure to get them right.
A skill I revisited was inserting an invisible zipper. I think there’s definitely a reason it’s been a long time since my first attempt. An exercise in patience for sure. I’m thinking it might be the sort of thing best learned from someone who knows how to do it rather than attempting it by trying to follow a blog tutorial. On the outside I think it looks pretty good, but I have to admit, A LOT of time was invested in sewing, ripping seams, and resewing to get it to look this way. It’s a good thing that the seams are hidden on the inside!
And of course, a matching headband! I was originally going to sew a thin strip of white around the waist but after cutting, sewing, and turning the fabric strip, I changed my mind. Luckily my efforts didn’t go to waste. The strip of fabric became the headband. I was going back and forth between a bow and a flower, but as you can see, I went with three flowers. Such a great way to use up fabric scraps!
A challenging project but definitely well worth the time and effort for my sweet little girl.
With the leftover fabric from the nursing cover I made for my friend, Charlene, I made a flowered headband for her cutie pie daughter who is only 6 weeks old. My little one has so kindly modeled it in the picture above. Please excuse the puddle of drool. I’m pretty sure we’re in teething mode now. It looks like she might be working on both bottom teeth. We shall see how things go.