Pleated Bib Dress

Jess at Craftiness Is Not Optional strikes again with another adorable dress tutorial. I can’t get enough of that blog! I just couldn’t resist and had to make one for my cutie pie.

I’ve had this fabric for quite some time. It was one of the first cuts of fabric I bought when I started this whole sewing mania. Even though I love it–I’m sort of addicted to all things pink since having a little girl–I just didn’t have a project in mind that seemed suited for it. I’m glad that I waited for this adorable dress to come along, because I think it was perfect for this project. By the way, I love the buttons too. I pretty much love everything about this dress. Again, what a great tutorial.

Almost every time I complete another project, I walk away with new skills. One thing I learned this go round was how to make pleats. I think they turned out pretty well. I’ve been thinking that I want to start creating some of my own designs/patterns and I think pleats will make an appearance. I do have to admit, they were sort of a pain in the you know what, though. You definitely have to be precise for them to look good, and since I was kind of winging it, I had to rip a few seams and remeasure to get them right.

A skill I revisited was inserting an invisible zipper. I think there’s definitely a reason it’s been a long time since my first attempt. An exercise in patience for sure. I’m thinking it might be the sort of thing best learned from someone who knows how to do it rather than attempting it by trying to follow a blog tutorial. On the outside I think it looks pretty good, but I have to admit, A LOT of time was invested in sewing, ripping seams, and resewing to get it to look this way. It’s a good thing that the seams are hidden on the inside!

And of course, a matching headband! I was originally going to sew a thin strip of white around the waist but after cutting, sewing, and turning the fabric strip, I changed my mind. Luckily my efforts didn’t go to waste. The strip of fabric became the headband. I was going back and forth between a bow and a flower, but as you can see, I went with three flowers. Such a great way to use up fabric scraps!

A challenging project but definitely well worth the time and effort for my sweet little girl.