Baby Leggings

I’ve been wanting to make the little one some leggings for quite some time but just haven’t gotten around to it. So, the other day I finally decided to try out my McCall’s 6457 baby leggings pattern that I got on sale for $1. I have to admit, I am somewhat addicted to the $1 pattern sales at Joann’s. You just can’t beat that!

Since I’ve never sewn with knit before, I decided to use a pair of stretchy cotton knit pants I found at a thrift store for $2 for my first go at it. I was a little nervous because on so many blogs people talk about how hard it is to sew with knit, but it went pretty well.

One thing that was a little bit of a bummer was that the children’s pants I was repurposing were not big enough to be able to cut out the two pant legs according to the pattern, which did not include an outside seam. So I centered the pattern over the seam on the children’s pants so that when the leggings were sewn up, the existing seam from the children’s pants would appear as an outside seam on the leggings. I’m not sure if that makes sense…Anyway, it worked fairly well, although I didn’t quite center it right and the the outside leg seam is more towards the back side of the leggings. Oh well.

Overall the leggings fit pretty well. Next time I’ll make the waist an inch or so lower and take up the hems as well. Even though the little one looks porky in these pictures, she is actually somewhat petite for her age and doesn’t quite fit store bought patterns yet.

Advertisements