I finally finished decorating our front porch, and I love it! I started out with the grapevine and felt flower wreath, which you can read about here, and then went from there.
The doormat is from Bed Bath & Beyond. Doesn’t seem to be on their website… I love that it will work for the entire fall season.
The hay bales, the mums, and the mini gourds are all from Home Depot. I bought four small hay bales, placed two on each side, stacked one on top of the other with the bottom hay bale a little bit pushed forward away from the house and the top one resting against the house to create a stair step. Then I scattered the mini gourds over the tops.
The gourds are constantly getting rearranged. My girls love to switch them around and to take them all off and pile them up on the top of the porch steps until I insist that they be put back. Katie loves to run around when I’m not looking with random bumpy ones saying “favorite” trying to bite the bumps off until I catch her and convince her that it’s yucky and that she should stop.
The mums are still in the pots that they came in, which I then put into inexpensive baskets from Michael’s to dress them up a little.
The Martha Stewart dimensional silhouette bats were originally on the door, as you can see here. I used the glue dots included in the package but they didn’t survive the afternoon. I then used a little bit of hot glue on the dots thinking that might do the trick. Sadly, no. I wasn’t sure what to do with the bats until a few days later when we had a thunderstorm and a bunch of smallish branches fell from our two large trees in the front yard. While gathering them to put with our yard waste, I realized that they would be perfect for the bats and FREE. A little hot glue and done. No falling off this time. I was originally sad that the bats didn’t stick to the door because I really loved the way that looked, but I think they look way better on the branches!
And the final addition were the pumpkins. A $20 score from our church’s first annual pumpkin patch. Hannah picked them all out except for one. They aren’t really carving size. We might just do stickers at some point and call it good. They’ll last longer that way anyway.
I think the porch is complete. I’m really tempted to make some of these lanterns or these ones to line our walkway, but I’m nervous about using glass mason jars with our kids running around outside. Maybe just for the week of Halloween, or maybe next year…
Halloween is coming! A very exciting time for little ones. Since this is our first Halloween in a house, I really want to go all out with front porch decorations.
For Halloween porch decor, I decided to start with a wreath (…a couple of mums, a free mini pumpkin, Martha Stewart dimensional silhouette bats…) and then go from there. I bought a grapevine wreath from Micheal’s and then used this tutorial from the Crafted Sparrow to make felt flowers.
I made the looped mum flower in a yellowy orange, the rolled rose in orange and white, and the scalloped frosting flower in black. For the roses, I glued little black buttons in the centers. It looked great without the buttons but it gave the wreath more of a Halloween look with the added black. To attach the flowers to the wreath, I simply glue gunned them. Easy and done!
One of the great things about this project was that it was really inexpensive. I only had to buy the wreath and the hanger, which were around $7 total. Everything else I had on hand. And since I recently found out that Michael’s will take competitor coupons, I was able to use my Joann’s coupon for 15% off my total purchase, which brought the price down a little bit more.