It’s a Girl!

I’m so excited for my pastor and his wife who are expecting their first granddaughter this December! Their daughter already has two sons and was convinced that she was having another boy, but surprise, it’s a girl!

With some leftover fabric from Hannah’s birthday dress, I made my very first Janey Jumper to give to my pastor and his wife as a gift. I bought this Cottage Mama pattern forever ago and have been meaning to make one of these adorable dresses for so long but have never gotten around to it until now. And honestly, it was the perfect excuse to test out the sizing to see what would fit Hannah, since I’m thinking a Christmas themed Janey Jumper would be really cute.

The ruffle down the front is different than the one in the pattern since I only had one coordinating fabric to go with the main print. I figured out approximately how wide I wanted my ruffle to be, cut my fabric double that and added seam allowances, sewed the raw ends together with rights sides facing, flipped the fabric tube right side out, and then ironed my fabric with the seam in the center back of the tube. After running a quick gathering stitch up the middle and then gathering the fabric, I sewed it to the front of the dress following the pattern instructions.

The dress was pretty quick and easy. The only difficult part was figuring out how to sew the bottom hem. That took me a little while to wrap my mind around, but I figured it out and had no problems in the end. The  reason it was a little tricky is because the Janey Jumper is completely lined, there are no exposed seams. And so to be able to sew the bottom hem and turn the dress right side out without it getting twisted, takes some creative maneuvering. I’m glad that I read the pattern carefully and only sewed when I was convinced I had completely understood the step. Anything to avoid the dreaded seam ripper!!! Anyway, I highly recommend this pattern. Such a cute dress and it comes with a variety of different embellishments so that you can make endless Janey Jumpers for the same girl and she’ll have a variety of different looks.


St. Patrick’s Day Skirt & Shamrock Headband

I’ve never really gotten into St. Patrick’s Day—for no particular reason, I just haven’t—but since it’s the little one’s first, a green getup of some sort was definitely a must. After all, we don’t want any pinching going on in this house!

I was originally going to make a pillowcase dress using my McCall’s 6058 pattern, but after I cut everything out and started putting the dress together, I just didn’t like it. I decided to cut off the top portion of the dress and turn it into a simple skirt instead. To add a fun detail, I trimmed the skirt with some white ric rac I had on hand.

For the headband, I used an idea I saw on Pinterest for making felt shamrocks. I spruced up the shamrock a bit by whip stitching around the edges of the leaves using a contrasting embroidery floss and then adding a button in the middle. I have been reusing the same white elastic headband for multiple outfits. Instead of sewing on flowers or bows, or in this case shamrocks, I just use a tiny safety pin and attach whichever accessory I need for a particular outfit. A time saver for sure!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!


Emma Dress, 6 Month Pictures, & the Runaway Headband

This past week I participated in the Emma Dress sew-along, my very first, on the Craftiness Is Not Optional blog. It was so much fun and this is the result. Although I usually gravitate toward pastel colors, I decided to go out on a limb with this bold floral pattern on a charcoal gray background. I think the little one looks super cute in it, even though it is definitely out of my color scheme comfort zone.

This project was a fun challenge. I learned so many new skills and really surprised myself with all of the things I was able to do. First off, I didn’t use a store bought pattern or a free pattern from a blog. I didn’t even modify an existing pattern. I made my very own pattern…and it worked!!! It is such a great feeling and now I feel confident enough to maybe try to make some original creations. Maybe….

Another new thing, sewing with ric-rac. Luckily it was not the nightmare I imagined it to be. I am proud to say that I never had to rip a single seam related to the ric-rac! I thought it was going to be really challenging and thought that I might have to scrap the ric-rac altogether if it got too complicated, but to my surprise, it was a total success. Yet another skill to add to my sewing arsenal : ) And one more adorable pic of my cutie pie in her new dress. (She’s looking rather mischievous in this one.) I can’t believe that she turned six months old on Sunday. How the time flies.

The real debacle in this whole sew-along and six month pictures business was not the pattern making or the ric-rac as one would imagine. It was the runway headband.

So, I made a headband for the little one. I put it in the front pocket of the diaper bag when I was hurrying out the door to get her pics taken. When I got to the studio, the headband was nowhere to be found. I went back to the car to look for it. Nowhere. I was so annoyed because a headband is a must, both for the cuteness factor and also because she doesn’t have much hair on top. I called my husband and he found it in the hallway outside our apartment.

Thankfully I mentioned the runaway headband to the lady at the studio. She told me not to worry and pulled out a whole box of different styles and colors of headbands! Photographer to the rescue! There was a bright pink bow that matched the dress. Crisis averted.

 Even though the flower headband didn’t make it into the 6 month pictures, I suppose it deserves an honorable mention.

Happy six month birthday to my sweet little girl.